ASBMR Mourns the Passing of H. Clarke Anderson, M.D.

We are sad to announce the passing of long-time ASBMR member H. Clarke Anderson. Dr. Anderson was Professor Emeritus of Pathology and Harrington Professor of Orthopedics at the University of Kansas Medical Center. His research appointments included postdoctoral research at Sloan Kettering Institute and two fellowships with the NIH, one at Cambridge University in England, the other at Yale University School of Medicine. He is credited with the discovery of matrix vesicles.

We extend our condolences to Dr. Anderson’s family at this time of loss. We invite you to leave a note or share a memory below.

Guest Janet Hock

Very sad to hear this news. My condolences to his family. Clarke was a very rare courteous, unassuming scientist who took all the blows of disbelief against his hypothesis before it became widely accepted. He was very modest in presenting his ideas, and in discussions, and very open to listening to different interpretations - his aim was always to see a full perspective, and the holes in whatever he was thinking. He was extraordinarily well read in the basic scientific literature on bone. As a collaborator, he was delightful.

Guest Dave Morris

Very sad news - I worked in Clarke's laboratory from 1981-1992 - he was a wonderful person, great mentor and critical thinker - always pushing to identify the key experiments that would yield the most useful information. The recently formed international society/extracellular vesicles has acknowledged his pioneering observations and contributions to the study of these important structures. My condolences to his family.