Sign in to follow this  
Kirsten  Mills

ASBMR Mourns the Passing of Paolo Bianco, M.D.

ASBMR mourns the passing of longtime ASBMR member Paolo Bianco, M.D., at the age of 60. Dr. Bianco was Director of the Stem Cells Laboratory at Universita La Sapienza in Rome, Italy. Dr. Bianco was known worldwide for his work in stem cells, skeletal physiology and bone diseases. With over 160 peer-reviewed articles published and 38 chapters receiving over 15,000 citations, Dr. Bianco was the most highly cited scholar in the three Medical Schools at Sapienza. Dr. Bianco was a regular ASBMR contributor, and was a member of the ASBMR-ORS Task Force on Cell-Based Therapies.

We extend our condolences to Dr. Bianco’s family. We invite you to leave a note or share a memory by replying to this post.

Guest marie helene lafage-proust

• Reading a paper By Paolo Bianco or attending his talks has always been for me a true intellectual delight. I would like to express my admiration for his thoroughness, the relevance, the orignality and the cleverness of his work, and my profound sadness. MH Lafage-Proust

Guest Roberto Civitelli

Paolo was a very committed scientist, a science advocate and a friend. It felt unreal when I heard the sad news a few hours after landing in Rome on Sunday. Aside his seminal work on mesenchymal stem cells, he recently energetically fought against public funding of a band of quacks who were selling a "stem cell" therapy that was patently fraudulent but had gained steam among the public. He was memorialized today at the opening of the meeting of the Italian Society of Osteoporosis and Bone and Mineral Diseases. We will miss him.

Guest Julie Glowacki

Paolo Bianco was an imaginative and rigorous thinker and doer. He was also generous and happy to help. He will be sorely missed. Deepest sympathy to his family and closest friends.

Guest Pam Robey

A true gentleman and a scholar. The most creative thinker that I have ever known, and his love of science was infectious. I felt very privileged to have the opportunity to work with him for many years. He taught me a lot, and I will miss him immensely.

Guest Farzin Takyar

I will never forget the professor at a "meet the professor" session at ASBMR who transformed my view of mesenchymal stem cells. A huge loss for the younger generation of bone biologists :(

Guest David Findlay

I am shocked and very sad to read about the passing of this extraordinary man. I consider myself blessed to have met him and spent time with him. What an intellect! What insight! My goodness- it seems unthinkable that he is not still with us. His work will live on but not, I fear, with such an eloquent apologist to present it. My heartfelt sympathy to his long-time workmates and friends. God bless you. David

Guest Paola Divieti Pajevic

I had the pleasure to get to know Paolo at one of the Bone and Teeth GC several years ago where we had great scientific discussions about the future of science. I learned from Paolo a great deal about mesenchymal stem cells and how to think and work as a true scientist. His elegant and rigorous studies on MSCs will lead future generation of scientists. He will be missed. Deepest sympathy to his family, friends and colleagues.

Guest Roy Morello

Dear Paolo,

it was always a great pleasure to meet you, talk to you or listen to one of your presentations. Your competence and knowledge were vast and deeply respected.

You will be sorely missed.

Farewell

Roy Morello

Guest Pierre Marie

Paolo was a great scientist and a bright man. I have always been impressed by his science and personality. Paolo, we will miss you.

Guest Richard Oreffo

Paolo Bianco was one of those rare individuals, a true scholar and generous scientist. I was fortunate enough to spend time with him and engage in some entertaining discussions on skeletal stem cells - I only wish there had been more opportunities. He will be a huge loss to our community and my deepest sympathy to his family and to his colleagues and friends.

Guest Brendan Boyce

I just read, belatedly, the sad news of Paulo's too early death with a great sense of sadness and loss. He was indeed an original and very well informed stem cell and bone cell scientist and one of a small number of surgical pathologists with a focused interest in bone cell biology. His understanding of osteoblast differentiation from progenitor cells and his ability to explain his firmly and solidly held views were profound. His publication record was outstanding, as were his contributions as a reviewer for the JBMR. He has been ranked for many years among the top reviewers for the journal, both in the quality of his fair and helpful reviews and in the huge numbers of reviews he completed each year, a visible feature of his commitment to the field, the Journal, and to his fellow scientists. He will indeed be very sadly missed by many of us.

Sign in to follow this