Is Collaborative Research Hurting Your Career?

2 replies to this topic

#1 Jessica Baumgartner

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 12:38 PM

The New York Times recently published an article, “When Teamwork Doesn’t Work for Women,” which highlights the difficulty women face in receiving the same amount of credit for research in male-dominated fields of research, such as bone and mineral research science. The article uses the field of economics to stress the obstacles women face when working with teams of male colleagues. It states, “when an economist writes a paper on her own, there is no question about who deserves the credit. The career benefit from publishing a solo paper is about the same for women as it is for men. But unlike women, men also get just as much credit for collaborative research. Unfortunately for women, research done with a co-author counts far less. When women write with co-authors, the benefit to their career prospects is much less than half that according to men.” The ASBMR Women in Bone and Mineral Research Committee wants to hear from you! Have you experienced this divide in the bone field? Read the full article and let us know your thoughts by posting below or on our LinkedIn group.

#2 Guest_Aspiring Applicant_*

• Guests

Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:34 PM

I have applied to be on a committee of ASBMR for 5 years in a row, but always I get the same letter about "many qualified applicants". I wonder if men repeatedly apply and repeatedly get rejected in the same way.

#3 Guest_Patricia Clark_*

• Guests

Posted 14 June 2016 - 06:54 PM

"The glass ceiling effect" applies to research positions and research credits.... In a certain way, women do not work with each other the way they should. They should prefer women over men if they have the same CV in the same position, but they sometimes are bias against women.

Reply to this topic

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users