In Memoriam: Robert Heaney, M.D.

8 replies to this topic

#1 Lauren Taggart

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 01:07 PM

It is with sadness that we announce the passing of Robert P. Heaney, M.D., one of the giants in our field.

Dr. Heaney was born in Omaha and spent most of his life in his hometown and at his alma mater, Creighton University. He received his bachelor’s degree from Creighton University and his medical degree from Creighton’s School of Medicine in 1951. He became a faculty member at Creighton in 1957, and served as the university’s first vice president for health sciences. He was also the first to hold the John A. Creighton University Professorship.

A recipient of the ASBMR Frederic C. Bartter Award in 1994, Dr. Heaney was a pioneering researcher whose decades of research elevated the national conversation about osteoporosis and the importance of calcium and vitamin D to bone health. Recognized by the National Osteoporosis Foundation as a “Legend of Osteoporosis,” Dr. Heaney worked with the Institute of Medicine to determine a recommended daily dose of calcium. Over the course of his professional career, he wrote 866 papers, scientific articles, reviews, editorials and other manuscripts, as well as three books.

In addition to his many contributions to the field of bone science and nutrition, Dr. Heaney will be remembered as a healer, a thinker and a man of grace and generosity. Please join us in recognizing Dr. Heaney’s contributions to our field by leaving a note, sharing a memory or contributing a donation in his honor to the ASBMR Fund for Research and Education.

#2 Guest_Paula H Stern_*

• Guests

Posted 11 August 2016 - 12:38 PM

ASBMR and the bone field have truly lost a giant with the passing of Bob Heaney. His brilliant presentations were always enlightening. Talking with him at ASBMR was something I looked forward to every year.

Paula Stern

#3 Guest_Sudhaker D. Rao_*

• Guests

Posted 11 August 2016 - 12:54 PM

He was one of my most revered mentors and most admired Frame lecturer at Henry Ford Hospital. I am deeply saddened by the news. I will miss his humor, humility, wise counsel, encouragement and friendship over the past 4 decades. My thoughts and prayers with his family. Sudhaker D. Rao

#4 Guest_Marian T. Hannan_*

• Guests

Posted 11 August 2016 - 02:54 PM

The world is a sadder and smaller place with the passing of Dr. Heaney. He was a remarkable and exacting scientist. Bob Heaney made his impression on me at ASBMR meetings early in my career decades ago. I still find myself passing along variation of his words of wisdom to others. Our sympathies and thoughts to his family with many thanks for sharing Bob with us over the years.

#5 Guest_Larry Suva_*

• Guests

Posted 11 August 2016 - 04:56 PM

Dr Heaney, a wise and revered role model and colleague. His thoughtful approach to science and keen mind will be missed. My thoughts are with his family.

#6 Guest_David B. Karpf, MD_*

• Guests

Posted 11 August 2016 - 07:23 PM

So sad - next month in Atlanta I will sorely miss hearing "Heaney - Omaha", followed by one of his gentle, wise, and informative questions. The field as indeed lost another of the "Giants" - the older I get, the fewer seem to remain. I join the others in applauding Bob's substantial contributions to the our knowledge, and offer my sincere condolences to his family and close friends.

RIP, Bob.

David B. Karpf

#7 Guest_Peter Burckhardt_*

• Guests

Posted 12 August 2016 - 02:12 PM

I knew Bob for almost 20 years as co-organizer of the international symposia on nutritional influences on bone. Bob was incredibly creative, sharp in his thinking, clear in his statements, gentle in his adaptive way of discussing and friendly in his personal approach. A scienist gentleman, unforgettable.
Peter Burckhardt, Lausnne, Switzerland.

#8 Guest_Adolfo Diez-Perez_*

• Guests

Posted 13 August 2016 - 04:42 AM

The loss of Bob Heaney is the loss of a brilliant scientist, a great person, a mentor and a warm friend. He will be always a reference to follow and a symbol for his science and humanity.
Adolfo Diez-Perez

#9 Guest_Xavier Nogues, Barcelona S_*

• Guests

Posted 13 August 2016 - 06:38 AM

He was my mentor and father for six months during my ORC time in 1998. I had a really good time and I learnt from a marvelous teacher and excellent great man.
Xavier Nogues

Reply to this topic

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users